View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #15
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
A follow up to the previous postulation. When one looks at the sum of the GAWR of the front and rear axles on the TV in some cases there is a a significant difference between that sum and the GVWR for a particular truck. Is it possible that the only cause for that difference from one truck to the other is what springs were factory configured for that specific truck? For example: the sum of GAWR may be 10,000 lbs but the GVWR may be only 8500 lbs because lighter springs were used. If configured with heavier springs the GVWR may be published at 9,000 lbs or higher with no other mechanical change having been made.

My suggestion here is we may have to dig deeper than just looking at published numbers.

Now heavier axles, larger brakes, heavier transmissions, higher rear end ratios, higher torque engines also comes into play but I don't think we fully understand how certain numbers are being established by the manufacturer. I truly beleive that some of the numbers have changed due to competitive pressures rather than real structural or mechanical enhancements that have caused the TV GVWR to change. I'm prepared for being corrected on this premise.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote