View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 04:55 AM   #67
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snowbunny

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the solution Glenn proposed last November. As truck tires wear relatively quickly and trailer tires generally don't 'wear' out but need to be replaced due to age, why not replace your half used truck tires with new ones and put your old truck tires on the Montana. Both are usually 16" and both are similar sizes with the same load rating. You can get to Glenns topic at the following.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...chTerms=+tires

Has anyone actually done this yet? I need new Montana tires this summer because mine are showing age cracks although the tread is like new!
Jim, it's an excellent idea for those for whom it will work. However, it won't work for me. My F250 came with the standard LT265/70R17 tires and the Montana uses LT or ST235/85R16.

Dsprik, don't forget part of the trailer weight is on the hitch and not the tires. For example, on ours, at 14,360, 11,060 of that is on the tires. Still a lot of weight but that's why they're aired to 80 psi. Also, trailers get a different kind of stress. Backing and turning tightly on wheels that don't steer puts a lot of stress on the sidewall. Eventually the sidewall will weaken. That may have something to do with the number of blowouts we experience. I don't know if that's why, it's just a guess.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote