Thread: We are clean.
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

Rich, I have been following you on your Big Sky problems for a while. I met you at the Rally. I have a high opinion of you and value your opinion and expertise. Having said all of these nice things abut you I would like to pose this question. How many of the problems with the new Big Sky are about features and products that were not offered on your 06? Are some of these problems because these RV's are more advanced than your 06? Are they plagued by the products purchased and installed by Keystone that maybe a better product isn't available? I would think Keystone is having to learn about the failure rate of some of the improvements only after they fail. The auto buisness gets a model close and works out the bugs as they gain expierence from failure. I was just thinking out loud. I feel you have been very fair with your opinions. Iam asking this because you said maybe you would be better off if you still had your 06.
Will try to answer. Our 06 3400 was ,IMO,at about the end of its useful life for long timing. We had traveled over 70K miles in nearly 7 years. It suffered frame flex twice due in part to our excellent highway system. It will serve the new owners well as a weekend camper and it served us well for the time we used it.

This 13 Big Sky has many of the same issues as the 06 3400.Build Quality, again, IMO , has not improved much. We have toured I think all of the plants in the Elkhart area. Purchase any brand and you will get no better build quality. I have said many times before. If I thought there was a better quality unit in the Montana price range I would have it.

Keystone uses the same vendors as the other brands. Look at a Jayco, Cedar Creek, Redwood and you will see the same vendor provided products.

There is absolutely no comparison between the auto industry and the RV industry in any category. If you were at the rally you saw the assembly line and the build process. It is primitive compared to the auto industry and every brand assembly line is the same.

What bothers me the most is that this 2013 Big Sky does have the same build quality issues that the 2006 3400 had. I had hoped for better.

They are "build quality issues. Defective valve stems. Wall panels pulling away from the wall, Cable and satellite connections installed backwards in the convenience center. Pantry door not closing properly. Compartment door struts pulling out of the door. Flush lever falling off the john. Nor cold fridge failing in 7 months.
Poor build quality, vendor, Keystone same in any brand.

This big Sky is a far better Rv , better technology, Level up system, G614 tires. Full body paint.

You are going to buy the same problems in any comparable brand. IMO Keystone stands behind the product better than any comparable brand although some here will not agree.

We talk about our issues no matter how small and hope they will help others.

It may not seem to some but we are happy Montana Owners.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote