View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #15
Shadywood
Established Member

M.O.C. #18679
Okay, I have installed a Progressive EMS-HW50C

Just finished installing the unit in my 5th wheel. Appears to be working as it should. Time will provide an assessment of its reliability on the road.

I like the remote display and the information provided on the display. The display continuously sequences: Line 1 voltage, Line 1 amps, Line 2 voltage, Line 2 amps, line frequency and error code.

It was challenging to wire the unit within the confines of the enclosure. For 50A service one could benefit by a slightly longer enclosure along the axis of the wiring. 3 inches of space on each side when you have to guide 6 gauge leads into the terminal posts is a struggle. On the supply side the installer only has the deal with the 3 leads and the ground. On the load side the challenge is increased due to the addition of two amp coils (donuts) on the hot leads. I had to insert and remove the load side leads 3 times to adjust the lengths of each lead. Contrary to the instructions, the leads need to be slightly different in length to make it easier to get the lead ends in the terminal blocks.

Installation of this useful device will require some physical strength (6 gauge wire is very stiff) and patience.