View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Like YorkieSue we found so long as the furnace runs enough the belly tanks will be fine. We've never had a tank freeze up even to five below (F). My earlier report of a frozen black tank was incorrect, as another post described.

Our "new" procedure is we use space heaters to augment the furnace when the temperature is above hard freeze level (27 for four hours). When we retire for the night and the temperature is to be below that level, the downstairs space heater gets turned off, the furnace gets turned down to 60, we close the door to upstairs and run a space heater in the bedroom (ours is one of the models that do not get much heat upstairs).

When the low is to be above the hard freeze point we turn the downstairs space heater on high or low (depending on expected low temp) and let the furnace run only as needed to maintain 60 degrees (sometimes I take it to 58 instead).

I don't know if this approach is good for everyone but it works for us. Having had the belly pan dropped along the edge I found there is plenty of heat in the belly just from the furnace running. A mobile service guy I had helping me recently was quite impressed with the amount of heat in there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote