View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Moving the converter

Why you ask? When charging on generator I get 14.2 volts coming from the inverter, by the time it gets to the battery the volts have dropped to 13.6. When my new Iota 9200 3 level charger goes off boost I only get 13.1 volts up front. I can run the genny for hours and not get a decent charge on the batteries.
Connections are good, wire is factory 6 gauge. I either have to increase the wire size (difficult and $) or just move the converter to the front compartment as I already have 120 volts there. As long as my batteries are in the vented boxes the fumes shouldn't hurt anything, so I can't see a reason not to.
To test this I have put an old Iota that came with the rig with a manual high charge mode up front and it works like a champ, giving me a full 13.6 volts on float and 14.4 on high . I guess I could leave it there, but then I have to remember to change the setting when hooked to power and I won't have the automatic equalization, which is why I changed it out in the first place. Leaves me a backup charger though.
Of course I think a complete solar system would solve all my problems, but DW has other uses for $1000+.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote