View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #18
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
I used to do mine with about 2 1/2 gal without a washer. Now that we have a washer it took a little over 4 gal. And that was being generous everywhere. I use a 14" cutoff garden hose shoved to the bottom of the gal of antifreeze which the wife holds while I run each faucet. When the gal of antifreeze gets near 1 inch left, she knocks on the RV and I quit and go out and help her start another jug of antifreeze. That way I don't suck any air into the pump.

I used to use air in a previous trailer that didn't have a winterize connection. It was a cold, messy job. I don't blow out anything now as my dealer said to just pump it in till I see pink and shut it off. He said to levae the lines under pressure.

Last year after winterizing in October, I poured about 2 inches of antifreeze into the stool to keep the seal tight. it was between 0 and 10 degrees when we loaded up to leave last December. We brought a couple jugs of water along thinking we would just flush with the jug until we could de-winterize. The antifreeze was frozen in the stool and we couldn't flush until we got to our first destination and ran the furnace for about an hour. A lot of winters our pump will be frozen too until we run the furnace for a while. Original pump, still works.

When buying RV antifreeze I mark the lid on each jug with the year - 17 or 18 with a sharpie. Then if I have any left over, I use up the old next year first. Not sure what the shelf life is on this stuff but I think I read somewhere that it can be less effective as it ages. Sometimes when returning from the South in the spring we have had to winterize due to a late Apr or May freeze. And some years it was not as available in the stores in the spring. So I don't mind having extra around.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote