Thread: TV oil
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
One thing that I noticed in the previous posts here -- almost everyone is running synthetic in trucks made before the 2008.5s came out. Since then we have had EGR requirements which put a lot of soot into the oil. I've not seen a single article anywhere that has mentioned extended oil changes being the norm since that requirement came in. That soot is suspended in the oil and while 'by-pass' filtration will remove the larger size soot particles, unlike years ago, the oil now remains black and contaminated with the smaller pieces. These pieces continue to wear on the engine parts. Then we add the oil dilution introduced with the Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration cycles and the oil is further diluted / contaminated. So given these, extended oil changes are not recommended. Now, all this said, synthetic definitely has its value in cold weather starts, and then on the opposite end, turbo longetivity after shutdown. My opinion is if you can justify it to yourself, then by all means use it but do so not really expecting to get longer 'between oil-change' experiences -- at least not if you are driving a 2008.5 or newer vehicle.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote