Thread: Disc Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Been towing 5th wheels for 35 years and have never been happy with the brakes. When I bought my first brand new trailer, my current Montana, I thought that I would finally have good brakes. Well they weren't any better than my previous trailer, maybe not even as good. Since the Montana was a couple of thousand pounds heavier I figured that was the reason. Checked and adjusted brakes and found no improvement. Then I considered that maybe it was an issue with the truck, but dismissed that theory when I bought a newer truck with no improvement in braking. Now I'm not saying braking was a white knuckle experience, but under hard braking you could tell there was room for improvement. I always felt that you should be able to lock up the trailer brakes with the controller at most speeds. I could not lock mine up at any speed, and have been through 3 trucks and 3 trailers since I could.
So, yesterday I bit the bullet and ordered disc brakes from stopyourtrailer.com
This will be a winter project and I won't see the results until spring (unless we get a wild hair and go south for a few weeks this winter). Interestingly, Bill told me that since Dexter now owns both Titan and Kodiak I may receive either calipers as they are in the process of phasing out the Titan brand. He said that they are exactly the same anyway. I also went ahead and ordered the 9/16 stud kit even though my 7,000lb axles have 1/2 inch studs because the 9/16 hub uses a wider outer bearing. Probably not necessary, but just a little extra insurance.
Here's hoping that all the glowing reviews on disc brakes are true!
I absolutely/positively know for a fact that you will love them and will kick yourself in the a-- for not doing it sooner.

I'm going one step farther in June and having Mor Ryde IS installed.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote