Thread: Bedroom slide
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
Bedroom slide update

Took advice and removed the plywood under the mattress. It was obvious right away there was water getting under the Eternabond tape on the top outside edge of the slide. The tape was laying flat but could be picked up with a finger sliding under it. I didn't think I had to go around and try to lift up all the tape. I even paid for an exterior inspection and they said it all looked good. Anyway the water was trapped in the botton of the slide by a plastic sheet that is glued to the bottom. So the water rotted the wood in that area and the angle iron that attaches the hydraulic ram to the bottom of the slide ripped out. I can't see any way the seller would have been aware of this situation. Anyway with limited tools and supplies I patched it together as best as I could. The first picture is what I found when I first opened it up. The second picture is my mess after removing the rotton plywood. (I kinda put a couple of water escape holes in the plastic bottom.) The third picture is my replacement plywood with the angle iron bolted to it ready to go back into the slide bottom. The final picture is how I attached the new plywood to the wood side rails of the slide. All the bottom screws and lag bolts had to only be 3/4" so that they wouldn't go through the bottom. The slide seems to work. I did notice that the way they had it set up the slide was all the way in before the ram bottomed out by a couple of inches. So the bedroom slide had to keep pulling on the plywood attachment points while the other two bigger slides came in. I adjusted the ram so that it bottoms out when the slide is all the way in so that it won't be pulling on my repair any more than necessary. Check your tape my friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	2396   Click image for larger version

Name:	second.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	737.8 KB
ID:	2397   Click image for larger version

Name:	third.jpg
Views:	85