Thread: tank heaters
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
A few thoughts:
I followed DQ Dick's advice when I moved next door. The large propane tank is definitely the way to go. Most especially if you are at a given location for an extended time frame. Heating with gas is a lot more effective and less expensive.

Absolutely get the heated water supply hose if your going to be hooked up in the winter. The premade ones work great although they are not cheap.

I question if the tank heaters are "automatic" or not. The ones on our previous camper did not appear to be they were simply heat pads with no apparent thermostat controls. They looked a lot like the pads you use for outdoor pets. But admittedly I have not looked at the ones on our new camper. I would be inclined to leave them on if they have thermostats that turn on near freezing just in case the gas furnace stops working. I could be wrong but I suspect if you keep the tanks warm, they would probably keep the underbelly and water pipes above freezing but you will have to use a safety space heater in the living area to keep it warm enough to prevent the pipes topsides from freezing.

Oh have you considered what happens if you haven't winterized and you hit the road with your rig during the winter?? Might be wiser to winterize after each use.

One other thought: If you absolutely don't want to run the furnace for whatever reason you might consider a boat engine bay heater in the basement. They are designed to work in confined spaces specifically to keep the temp. just above freezing. They aren't cheap but would be the right tool for the job....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote