Thread: "Protection"
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #29
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Generally speaking, probable cause is needed for an officer to search your vehicle. I know on TV drama shows when someone refuses to consent to a search the police threaten to get, or do get the search warrant based on that refusal, but in the real world just because you refuse to allow a search of your vehicle is not probable cause for a Judge to issue a search warrant.

There are really two sides to the issue of carrying a firearm in your RV. If you don't know the laws in the state you are traveling through then you should probably leave it in the fiver, or keep it out of reach, unloaded, and encased in the tow vehicle. This would apply when you are driving down the highway.

When you are set up camping everything changes. You are living in your fiver and there are certain constitutional rights attached to that just like you were in a sticknbrick. The level of probable cause is going to have to be pretty high for any police officer to get a search warrant and come in to find a gun.

I'm basing my opinions on the last 3 years of work prior to retirement. I was a UC in a metro drug unit and we did not go to State's Attorney's for our search warrants. We wrote them ourselves and went directly to a Judge for approval and issuance. Needless to say all of the UC's in our unit were well trained and educated on current search and seizure.