View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Yes I have. But went a bit farther. I demoed the entire staircase and built a new one with 3 steps ( stained wood) instead of the 2 that existed so now the rise is 6" instead of 8". The treads are also hinged and open up for storage underneath. Also there was linoleum under the landing carpet at the top. I removed the carpet on the landing and moved the edge back to the bedroom door. Now we can come in from outside to use the bathroom without stepping on any carpet.!!!!
Ahh you did what I wanted to do to ours but ran out of time for major rework.

Not only are the step risers more or less 7-8 inches, they are not all the same height.

OP - be advised that this is not a job for the faint of heart as these steps are most likely individual frames screwed together with the carpet wrapped down the sides and in my case, even wrapped around the bottom with many - hundreds - of staples including to the insides of the frames. This means everything has to come out. I rebuilt ours and evened off the riser height, My wife found a much better quality carpet and way better padding that works well with the color scheme. I also cut the top landing back to the bedroom door - much nicer look.

You do need a pretty good selection of tools and fair amount of time if a DIYer. If not, a plump wallet for someone else to do the work
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote