Thread: best mileage
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #20
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
We would all like great mileage but the facts are towing heavy trailers with high HP/torque engines isn't going to deliver great mileage. On the positive side we have nice TV's that get us most everywhere with decent mileage. Diesel is a great fuel and I believe more efficient than gas as a general rule.

Diesel is more expensive than gas because our wonderful elected officials wanted more tax money but didn't really want the people to see it first hand. They crafted a bill which charges a tax on BTU output per gallon of diesel. It effectively delivered the tax money by charging everyone that uses diesel from the farmer to the transportation/delivery people to the regular citizens that use diesel. This is just what I remember and I have been wrong before but back in the day diesel was cheaper than gas as it didn't have all the refining costs. I think it was in the 90's that the prices flip flopped.
I am still going to pay the extra to have a diesel TV because I like all the benefits except the cost.

All three have good engines and I would say GMC then Dodge and last Ford in that order for MPG. That also is just a guess and as said before each particular rig and the respective driver make up a lot of the MPG formula.

Ok off the soap box.

Tom Marty