Thread: RV generators
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
IMHO it all depends on how much money you've got and how much convenience you want. If you've the bucks and only want to push a button, spend the ~$6k on a propane one (and probably get a spare tank to haul around as well). If you'd rather not spend that much and don't mind a little work, get at least a 3kw inverter (or even not an inverter) generator for your truck bed, a 30 amp RV extension cord (Walmart has them for about $50) and maybe a 30 to 20 amp adapter. When you need the generator, unhook and pull forward about ten feet, plug in your anaconda and extension, etc., and start up the genny. This has worked fine for us for staying at Walmarts, Flying Js and several other places.

This winter, I'm going to have a rear platform made that'll be attached to the frame for our Monty to put the generator on. DON'T use the hitch (if you've got one) as it is not strong enough. This will add a couple more feet in length, but I can live with it.

As to generator brands - there's close to religious wars about which one is better. I tried ganging two smaller ones and didn't like the hassle, so won't have any that won't run the 15k btu air conditioner and that means at least 3kw running (not peak), and also means they will weigh at least 100 lbs. This cuts down on the different brands, but there's at least Honda, Yamaha, Subaru (I think), Champion, and even Harbor Freight out there.