View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have had tire failure (not road hazard) on both E-rated and G-rated tires. The E-rated tires were Generals, American made. The G-rated were nameless Chinese manufactured tires. I went to G-rated tires based on the axle weight of my 2003 Big Sky 3670 RL. It was within the capacity of the E-rated tires @ 80 psi, but just barely. In my mind, it did not give me enough of a safety cushion.

So I went to G-rated, but I bought the Chinese made before all the information came out about substandard quality of Mission and other Chinese tires. Price led me to those tires. Disenchantment with the Chinese tires turned me to the G-rated Goodyear G614. Hands-on inspection of the difference between the tires removed and the G614s spoke for itself.

The only question is whether the wheels are rated for 110 psi. My tire man assured me that the my wheels were so rated. G614s are not cheap, but cheap gave me $5,000 worth of body repairs to my rig.

This is my experience and my decision based on my reading and research. Others probably disagree with me, especially about the fear of the inadequacy of the E-rated tires. However, this is my home (full timer) and I have to feel a sense of security and safety about how I outfit it. That is why I changed out the OEM mission tires on my new 2008 Big Sky with the G614s. For me, the difference in the level of confidence I now have is worth the additional cost.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote