View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #16
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Bob,
I noted that you have the 335RLBS which is a travel trailer. On the 335RLBS the fresh water tank is at the extreme rear of the coach. If you do not have all of your camping equipment, food supplies, etc. on board, the extra 400-500 lbs of water behind the axle could possibly cause problems with swaying/fishtailing. I towed mine with a full tank before we had moved all of our supplies on board and did notice some fishtailing. I removed 2/3 of the water and the swaying stopped.

When we travel we have the front chest of drawers filled, clothes and shoes in the closet and all the other necessary equipment in the kitchen and bathroom. When fully loaded the rear freshwater tank being full is no longer a problem.

On a travel trailer or any other trailer that is bumper pulled you need to have 10-15% of the weight on the hitch. A full freshwater tank with no other cargo decreases the hitch weight and is a potential problem.

All that being said, we usually travel with the freshwater tank being 1/3 full unless we are going to dry camp while traveling in which case we fill it up. It's nice to sleep in a rest area for a few hours, get up, take a shower and hit the road again.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote