View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #55
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
When you look at the rods and pistons next to each other it's clear which one is superior. I guess you have not heard of the 6.0 ford engine and the lawsuit between Ford and international..Gm does not have the same tow capacity. Who put an aluminum head diesel in the market? No thanks, I'll stay with my Cummins..
Well, since the Cummins is a 6.7 liter SIX cylinder, and the GM and Ford are 6.6.liter and 6.7 liter EIGHT cylinder engines, I would expect the pistons and cylinders to be bigger, since 6.7 divided by 6 is 1.12 liters per cylinder, whereas 6.7 divided by 8 is 0.84 liters per cylinder, so I would expect each piston and cylinder to be about 1/3 larger/stronger on the Cummins.

Rated towing capacity is based on much, much more than engine torque; about 26 pages of criteria per SAE J2807, including such things as parking brake holding power on a grade.

The Aluminum heads on the Duramax have caused zero durability issues, including on competition engines in the 1500 hp and greater range.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but first check your facts.