View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #35
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
50/30 adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Mixed in the discussion of campgrounds prohibiting using a 50/30 adapter to connect a 50 amp RV to a park 30 amp outlet, there was a side discussion on whether there was actually 240 vac available in a 50 amp RV. I guess like everything else there is no consistency.

Someone mentioned that their distribution panel did not allow installing a double pole breaker for 240 vac. Mine however does. It is an IOTA IDP-240 120/240 VAC ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTION PANEL. I suppose the 120/240 means it is configured for either voltage using the appropriate breaker. The breaker spaces alternate between hot 1 and hot 2 just like a home electrical distribution panel. So if I wanted to install a 240 vac clothes dryer (or any other 240 vac device) all I would have to do would be install a 2 pole linked circuit breaker and run the appropriate wire to my dryer closet. Not that I have any reason to do that, but it is possible.
doesn't matter due to most are split into 120 volt systems with two legs so if you use an adapter you're only limited by the amount of amps you use which if you go over will trip the campground breaker at the pole. Unless the campground is doing something shady it shouldn't be a problem!
RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote