View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
I hate like heck to say this, but I purchased the Porta-a-bote at the Houston RV show and it has been sitting in my garage and has not seen water YET. I purchased the 5 HP Nissan motor to go with it. Of course, then I needed a motor stand, and also a way to carry it.

Here is what I had done on the 3400rl, but never used it. Some one else on this forum sent me the information on how they did it. I have it on my other email system at the stick house, and will be home by this weekend.

The gist is: we used aluminum stock flat bar and bent it to specifications for the width of the bote in the form of a "L" with about an 8 inch length on one side and 2-3 inches on the other end of the "L". The two inch section gets bolted to the channel frame of the 3400. I opted to go through the underbelly and through the channel, then bolt the piece to it. The long side has pre-drilled holes for 1/2" all thread. The all thread is bolted trough the hangers with a lock nut on each side. Since the bote is 24 inches when folded I set the width at 25 inches. The all thread is covered with a 3/4 inch PVC and on top of that is a foam pipe insulator for cushioning. The PVC will spin on the all thread. Whoever sent me the instructions used the axle as a stop, but the 3400 is a little to long so I used aluminum flat stock from behind the step all the way across, with two twists where the boat touches for strength.

I'll try and find the pictures when I get back and send them or post them. I thought I had, but a search did not reveal anything.

Now if your deal falls through, give me a holler and I'm sure I can sell you a brand new 10 foot porta-bote, with custome 18 gauge vinyl cover. Motor, stand, instructions, etc.

JimF - I don't want to hear it!!!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote