View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had them on both our Montanas, since January, 1981, and if there's ever another fifthwheel it, too, will have them. The only downside I've seen is a little flapping noise in heavy winds. Believe me, we've been in some terrible winds, including up to 70 mph. They flap but they hold up well.

I do not worry about puddling water, nor ice, nor snow (have had up to ten inches up there). Yes, they sag with the weight but it just pulls more material off the roller. And when we retract the slides, the ice, snow, and water just slide off. I have never had to brush anything off of them in order to retract them.

I think this is purely a personal preference item. If anyone is uncomfortable having them and don't mind sweeping off your slides, then don't get them. Otherwise I see no reason not to have them. For us, the upside far far outweighs a little flapping in the wind.

Glen, I don't notice any rain noise on the slides. I hear a little on the rubber roof in a hard rain but not on the slides. I really don't know if that would be different without the awnings.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote