Thread: Kansas I-70
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, may I make a route recommendation, having towed through KC many, many times?

There is a tendency to avoid the downtown area and go alllllll the way around on I-435. We find the easiest route is straight through. There are two options as you approach downtown KC. As you approach downtown, I-70 turns to the north and goes around downtown and then back south. That route is fine but watch that 35 mph curve (and that is a serious speed limit!) just after the river.

Instead of taking I-70 around downtown to the north, though, we go straight through on I-670 through the downtown area. For that when you approach downtown from the east you'll need to be in one of the left two lanes. Then just follow the signs towards Topeka for the correct lane. I-670 then rejoins I-70 on the west side of town.

Either of those routes will work for you and both will save you 15 miles, per streets and trips, compared to going around on I-435.

I'd not recommend the downtown route during rush hour, though. In fact, I'd not recommend I-435 during rush hour, either, although it would be the lesser of evils at that time of day.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote