Thread: Older Montanas
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 12:45 AM   #22
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVNCheng View Post
If he has all his maintenance records and you're still in touch, I'd pick his brain about issues he might have had and guidance concerning any maintenance you might be unfamiliar with.
My son-in-law was adamant about buying my old TT just because I'd maintained it and am perhaps a little OCD when it comes to maintenance. Every corner Jayco cut when they built it had been made right. I suspect you'll find a similarly delightful experience.

Then just pay attention as you go. My '10 3400RL was not well cared for (and it was NOT evident when I bought it) and I've been wishing a 7 month flea infestation on the previous owner and / or the service dept at the CW where he may or may not have had it serviced. For example, the rear axle still had the Dexter EZ-Lube dust caps but the first time I went to grease the bearings there were no ZERK fittings - upon removing the hubs I found two different spindles on the axle. For the life of me, I can't imagine someone installing two DIFFERENT spindles on the same axle. (When I convert to disc brakes, I'll likely replace the axle because I can only imagine the thought process behind and circumstance leading to this mess)

Again, a 10 year old well maintained trailer is (IMHO) worth a whole lot more than a new one with a warranty. All of the demons have already been exercised
I bought a 2012 295RKD. I find it built better than newer ones. The lack of documentation was a surprise. Thank you Montana Owners club
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote