Thread: USFS fees
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
USFS fees

Having lived in Oregon for 25+ years, I have always enjoyed the fact that the beaches belong to us and no one can fence them off. Well no more! The USFS National Sand Dunes area just south of Winchester Bay has a fee area where you cannot even drive through without paying. I can understand a fee if I was going to stop, park the car, have a picnic, etc., but to drive through? We also recently stayed in a USFS campground that you could not enter without paying a fee. I don't really know how I feel about that either, but I have less trouble paying the fee for actually using the area, though they also charged us $5 for dumping even though we payed $15 per night per site and did not use their toilets (the tenters do not pay a fee for using the toilets). I guess if that is what it takes to keep it open, we will have to pay it, but there is hardly a place to drive and enjoy the beauty without paying a fee for the privilege. It seems to me it must cost them as much to pay someone to collect the fees. Each place we noted at least 2 people on duty.

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote