View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Having lived in Alaska for the last 14 years, I can honestly say that I was glad I did not have a rear kitchen to drive down the AlCan. The problem, as I saw it, was the frost heaves. The hiway depts do a good job of marking them with small red flags, however, as you are trying to enjoy the scenery you seem to come upon these flags at the last minute. I can't imagine, in my wildest dreams, of anyone trying to drive this road doing 75. It is virtually an impossibility. I have the 3400RL and hit some of these heaves going 55-60 and went airb orn several times. At one point we stopped and, what a mess, many items had come out of the cabinets and Cathy was thinking "What have we got ourselves into".

My advice is to do the trip, but plan on extra time to. do so AND pay attention to those little flags along the road.

Summer road work on the hiway is a given. When else do they have the time and weather to work on the road. One stretch of road about 50 miles long took us over 4 hours to traverse.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY THE TRIP.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote