Thread: Terrorism
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #40
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I can see both sides of the gun control issue. With 34 years in LE, plus the military before that, I basically carried a gun at work from the age of 17 to 56. It would be impossible for me to figure all my firearms training hours, but I am guessing between 2,000 and 4,000 hours, not counting several years of competitive shooting. I can tell you that I conceal carry (allowed by Federal regulations) about 90% of the time. At the retired age of 63 I am still required to qualify each year if I want to continue to conceal carry.

Many of my fellow retired LEO's conceal carry and I would trust them to take effective action to save the life of a citizen. But in recent years I have had non-law enforcement friends get concealed carry permits and haul around their firearms. Some of them shoot on a regular basis and take it seriously, but have they ever been involved in a high stressful tactical situation? Have they ever pulled their gun on someone who is shooting back? I also know a couple folks that got their concealed carry and even strut around their house with a handgun on. These folks never shoot or clean their weapon and I am very nervous around them knowing that they are actually armed now.

I guess what I am saying is that I think we all should have the fundamental right to bear arms, but there has to be limitations. Because we don't want the Wild West out there on our streets with neighbors settlings an argument with a pistol.

Chicago has turned into the murder capital of the U.S. in recent years. Illinois has the most restrictive gun laws in the nation plus they were the last state to approve any type of conceal carry. All the laws certainly never stopped the gun violence in Chicago and probably never will.

Okay, climbing down off my box now.