View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #46
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Just a thought, seems to me that if you wanted to go off grid... the last thing you would want is is to run anything on propane if at all possible. Sure it might be unavoidable, but sufficient solar will run everything so you can truly be off grid. My vote would be FOR the residential fridge in spite of its power demands. They are also cheaper to buy and maintain than the RV fridges. I have heard many tales of RVers with 1600 to 2000 watts and the batteries to support it being able to go months with out needing propane or genset time. YMMV as they say. Still, RV fridges are a choice too. To each, their own.

I'd like to convert my 2118 Norcold RV fridge to use the JC Refrigeration 12V compressor cooling unit. The $1500 price tag has me holding off. The 12V compressor runs at under 100W when it's cycling. Compared to more than 550W on the stock evap system when on AC power on the RV fridge. They say it will freeze ice cream rather than having it soft serve like I experience now in either mode.