View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #22
philiprmcgovern
Established Member

M.O.C. #17498
Ok, here is my guess. We had mucho trouble with both big slides (kitchen and living room) on our 2016 HC. Our repair guy found that, while the little BR slide had two white Teflon rollers under it, - visible when the slide is out and you are looking underneath it while outside the rig - the big kitchen slide had two rollers but they were at the very ends of the slide where they were basically useless. The LR slide had no rollers under it at all! The miracle is that it worked as long as it did. He centered the rollers on the kitchen slide where they would do some good and installed the two rollers on the LR slide which the factory had “overlooked” and we were good to go - until our next disaster. I noticed that when the kitchen slide moved, the wall adjacent to it moved with it a few inches. Our dealer fixed it under warranty. When I asked them what the problem was, they said there was a “bad weld” where the stud adjacent the to the slide attaches to the frame. We were good to go again - until our next disaster. At some BLM area in the middle of Nowhere, Utah, the same bulging wall thing was happening on the kitchen slide next to the entry door. This time, I sawed a hole in the outer skin at the base of the stud and discovered that there was NO WELD at all to hold the stud to the frame. My redneck repair was to screw a metal plate to the stud and frame and the bulging problem went away. I’m now convinced that the dealer should have said “no weld” instead of “bad weld” and that, most likely, NONE of the RV’s studs got welded to the frame! Bottom line: I am very underwhelmed with the build quality of our HC and. rather than wait around to see what the next disaster will be, we plan to trade up to a Grand Design Solitude. What sold me on Grand Design is the fact that, when I asked two separate, highly experienced, non-dealer RV repair technicians in two different states which brand of fifth wheel RV had the fewest problems, they both replied “Grand Design” without a second’s delay.
I’m sorry that this rant was so long winded, but I hope that someone on this forum will find it helpful. Thanks for letting me vent.
philiprmcgovern is offline   Reply With Quote