Thread: Atwood Heater
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Atwood Heater

While I was finishing washing my truck, the lady next door asked if I knew anything about RV furnaces. Her's had stopped igniting. She has a 2006 Hurricane motor home made by Thor. My Big Sky has an Atwood albeit an newer model mounted differently. However, there was enough similarity for me to recognize the works. Atwoods have a diagnostic LED on the control circuit board and the meaning is written on the blower housing. We looked at the diagnosis, but I did not understand what it meant.

After calling Atwood Tech Dept., I did some multimeter testing. I did not get the required 12 volt reading. Further instructions led me to remove the blower housing. On the back side of the housing there is a sail switch. So after I got it off we also needed to tested the two terminals on the switch for 12 volts. Bingo! I got twelve volts. Tech told me to put it back together and test the white wire at the circuit board again.

After some issues with small screws in remote, dark places, we finally got it back together after two tries. We turned the unit back on to determine if the blower and housing were in properly. Before I could test the white wire, the furnace ignited.

I really don't know what I did. Perhaps there was a loose connection, or the sail switch was stuck or corroded, or another contact was not making a solid connection. Whatever was the problem, it has been running since. The lady, a single traveling nurse, is exceedingly happy because it got to 32 degrees here last night.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote