View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #17
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Bill, does your 3500 have a higher bed, due to suspension, than the 2500, and does that cause any clearance problems with the 3400? Oh... also I assume the stiffer susp more than compensates for the 2500 vs 3500 wt diff? One last question... does the 3500 come with the same engine as the 2500 (6.6 TD)? If so, does this mean the 3500 gets lower gas mileage, being heavier with the same engine? Sorry, that was two questions.

I ditto the Great White North theme for daily driving requirements. I live in NW Lower Mich (snowbelt).

I have not done a comparison between the 2500 and 3500 but it does appear that the 3500 rides a bit higher. The obvious suspension difference appears to be the overload leaf in the rear ... which does get used when the 3400 is attached ... but there may be other less obvious differences included in the Heavy Duty Towing Package that is installed on my 3500. I just do not know the details. I have had no clearance problems with either the original Hi-Jacker hitch or the new PullRite Super Glide. There are some models of Ford (I believe i read this on the PullRite web site) where the sides of the pickup are higher than normal and require some "adjustments" ... but the Dodge is no problem, even with the rails for a tonneau cover attached to the sides. And both the truck and the Monty are as close to perfectly level as they can be going down the highway.

The engines on both the '05 and '06 2500s and 3500s are the 5.9L, high-output, Cummins Turbo Diesel. As for mileage, I am getting about 22-23 mpg (US gallons) on the highway without the Monty attached and 15-17 mpg hauling the Monty on interstates and the like. I do not know how that compares with the mileage on a 2500 but suspect there is not a lot of difference. Perhaps someone else can comment further.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote