View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Barefoot Bill
Established Member

M.O.C. #22623
New member - suspension upgrade

I only recently discovered the MOC and this forum although my wife and I have been full-timing for 7 years in a 2007 Montana 3400RL. Earlier this summer, we traded that in for a 2010 3400RL (love the layout). I've learned a lot from the posts Here about suspension upgrades. We took the "new" trailer from PA to Newfoundland and back to Texas so far and have worn out several tires, all on the rear axle and all on the inside edges of the tires. We are now in Fort Worth where our son lives, so it's a good opportunity to have some work done, since we can stay at his house.

I found Buck's Wheel and Equipment (anybody have experience with them?) and so far I'm favorably impressed. The service manager, Miguel, says most likely the tire problem is due to improper camber of the axle and the axle will need to be replaced. So, I'm thinking "let's replace both 7k axles with 8k axles" since we tend to overload the unit. And, while we're at it, lets install Roadmaster slipper springs and shock absorbers. Miguel is checking on getting the Dexter axles. Looking at the Dexter website, I see that they can be equipped by Dexter with slipper springs. So, I'm wondering if that would be just a good as Roadmaster's kit.

I would appreciate any input on this matter. I know Morryde independent suspension would be even better, but we are planning to head west from Florida in the spring and then up to Alaska. Going by way of Indiana to get IS installed would not be convenient.

Thanks for any advice.
Barefoot Bill is offline   Reply With Quote