Thread: Trying again...
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Trying again...

Trying again to address relationship issues.

First, I served in the Marines. I own guns. I totally support the Bill of Rights including the right to keep and bear arms. The last time I was on a firing range with my 30.06 Springfield, I put 5 rounds into a target at 200 yards that could be covered with the palm of your hand. So whatever I have to say has nothing to do with gun control at all.

I advocate self-control, especially by anyone who has a problem with a volatile, quick temper. When emotions escalate, reason de-escalates often resulting in irrational behavior. I have done enough counseling with people who had to deal with great remorse after acting out, in the heat of the moment, in destructive ways. Their regret could not undo the harm caused. This is not even debatable.

Now put that kind of volatility, mixed with alcohol, in close proximity to lethal weapons, particularly guns, it is a formula for disaster. Yes, knives, baseball bats and tire irons could also be lethal. However, a gun is more prone to accidental lethal discharge. This is multiplied when judgment and motor control are impaired by some substance.

My whole reason for addressing this and its relation to RVing is that when couples retire, they have to face being together much more than during the pre-retirement lifestyle. In learning how to live with each other in such close proximity feelings and emotions can become tense. Other issues that were part of the relationship long before retirement are magnified in this new lifestyle. So protect yourself and your life partner with voluntary self-control in keeping guns away from easy access.

My reason for posting now is motivated by having testified in a murder trial where the deceased and the accused were both my former clients. They had been married for twenty to thirty years. I am reasonably satisfied that they loved each other even on the day that one of them felt so threatened that they used a gun to defend them self. The shooter never intended to kill, but the spouse is dead. Again I say, "No one is immune."

I will not respond to questions concerning the case nor will get into a gun control debate.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote