View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bo View Post
@mtlakjim, A little of both. We plan to be traveling around the country. sometimes staying in place for a month or longer and other times moving daily/weekly.
Ok I will be blunt since it is my style. If it is going to put you in a serious financial bind maybe going with what you have at present is just what you have to do. You can usually get away with towing overweight as weight boys aren’t concerned with RVs in most states. I would recommend you at least drive very carefully. And of course when the situation allows it upgrade to a larger truck. Preferably a 1 ton dually. Your truck will pull the trailer and you won’t tear it up but you will be technically illegal and if you were towing it every day for thousands of miles per month be stressing the truck frame pretty hard.

The question you posed always sparks a heated debate on here and as I mentioned I am always way deep in the get more truck than you need camp. But I am heavy duty oilfield and live in the mountains. I do recognize there is often a difference between what would be the ideal tow vehicle and what fits someone’s lifestyle and circumstances.

If your going to switch anything I would look at the truck not the trailer. The depreciation on an RV is really bad but 3/4 and 1 ton trucks tend to hold their value much better. I actually made money on my trade in of a 3/4 ton.

The debate between truck size, brand and features can rage for several pages on here. Everyone has their take on it. Get a bag of popcorn and a beer and enjoy the show
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote