Thread: I am home.....
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I am home.....

Finally got back to the Monty this afternoon at about 1:30.

What started out as a 2 night stay ended up 6 nights.
Originally Tampa VA was supposed to go after the stone in the left kidney and not the cancer in the bladder but on their way in they did not like what they were seeing in the bladder and so they did do some further explorations of the bladder and found the cancer a bit larger than expected. They spent Monday taking a much further exploration and found the cancer to be worse than originally thought. What was supposed to be treating the cancer with medications will now be treated with chemo.
As they can't work on the bladder until they get rid of the stone and any possible infections related to it. Wednesday they did go back after the stone and broke it up but some of the pieces were still to big to pass any on Friday they took care of that problem.
The rest of Friday and all day Saturday filtering the urine. The only thing found was 8 tiny stones about the size of a grain of salt.
This now clears the way for the bladder cancer treatment which hopefully will start in a week or so.
All the surgeons, about 10 or so, feel now that the stone and infection are in the past the cancer should not be a major problem and that they will be able to get it all.
I will be calling my oncologist first thing Monday morning to get the ball rolling.

I would like to say that over the years I have heard many a disparaging remark about the Veterans Administration. Well over my 66 years of life I have been in many Civilian hospitals and at this point in time 4 VA Hospitals. In my opinion the VA has a much much better staff of employees. From the orderly to the RNs, the Drs and the Surgeons, in deed everyone are the greatest people. These folks are not in it for the money, they are in it to give us VETS the best possible care available and it doesn't much matter your standing in life. The VA staff could careless about your position in life and whether or not you can afford treatment. At the VA you get the best hospitalization whether you are filth rich or homeless.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote