View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #18
Oldsoldier
Established Member

M.O.C. #20018
Military campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Are these military campgrounds only for retired military or can us plan old vets also stay there?
Just celebrated last month 50 years since my separation.
Essentially, military campgrounds are for Active, Reserve/National Guard, and retirees. Gets a bit sticky from there. Not all accept the same groups: some also accept Civil Service employees; most/all accept Coast Guard and NASA. This new change to VA categories is still in flux: if you qualify for certain VA identification cards, you can access the exchange (AAFES and NEX) and commissaries. But to qualify for access, you must meet VA requirements (and I don’t want to try to explain anything related to the VA as the VA is half crazy at best....the VA can’t even explain many items internal to the VA). Haven’t seen anything from the VA about campgrounds/Famcamps; hobby shops; marinas; or other leisure resources. The “plain old veteran” category doesn’t qualify for anything. Lot of pressure from some active, reserve, and retired folks complaining about any access at all. Common point is, other veterans had the option of staying in or getting out. I don’t necessarily agree with that theory, but there aren’t sufficient resources for the people who always qualified. AAFES and NES likely want the additional customers to make profits, but campgrounds, gyms, hobby shops, etc would be drowned. Hard enough to get into campgrounds/Famcamps anyhow. A lot of people “homestead” there, making it hard for those who travel. Homesteading is actually illegal, but many installation Commanders don’t push the regulations. The military campgrounds/Famcamps are a great option to civilian campgrounds. Most are cleaner, have decent facilities (shower/latrine, electrical connections, marinas, etc) at better coast than any civilian campground (although there are some s***holes...pardon the Trumpism). I’ve heard far too many civilians gripe about our “bennies”, but the exchanges, hobby shops, campgrounds, etc exist for military personnel, and are funded by military personnel using the facilities. Any direct profit goes to maintain/improve facilities, provide R&R-type activities for soldiers. All too often, some installation commanders take profits for installation operation costs, leaving some R&R operations shortchanged (technically a major no-no). For those who qualify, the Coast Guard and NASA have the same type facilities; military can use theirs, and they can use ours. Reciprocal. It’s going to be interesting to see what shakes out over the VA issue, but I doubt anything will be available to plain old vets. There just aren’t enough facilities available for all that many people. I never stay at a civilian campground if military is available: cheaper; usually inside the perimeter fence; military police patrol; close to the exchanges/commissary; and there will always be another service member to visit with. Long answer, sorry
Oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote