Thread: Vizio TV
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Just noticed this thread, and even though it's been sort of inactive, I wanted to chime in about the Vizio. We LOVE ours! My husband was very hard-headed about "getting the best" (which, to him, meant buying a well-known name brand costing nearly twice what the Vizio cost) when we replaced our old set last year. He absolutely would not listen to what I'd heard about Vizio and wouldn't read the positive reviews on it from the major tech reviewers and Consumer Reports. A salesman at a major electronics chain store had convinced him that only a Pioneer or some other high-dollar brand was worth buying. I knew I'd be the one learning all the bells and whistles on whatever we got, and the Vizio was highly rated for ease in use as well as for being a superior product at a reasonable price. I got lucky--after seeing the Vizio in Costco and realizing how much cheaper it was than the other brands he'd looked at, he decided to lower his standards and buy the Vizio. The last laugh is on him--he loves the Vizio, and now he champions it whenever anyone mentions buying a television.

Now, for the rest of the story . . . My husband is tech-challenged. Computers, the internet, digital cameras, VCR's, DVD players, etc., are rocket science in Greek to him. The problem is that he wants all the fancy toys, but he expects me to read the directions and get everything going, and then teach him how to use them, because "You know so much more about all that because you use it at school . . . " Ha, ha. He just doesn't want to deal with the new generation of technology. One time when I was on a trip, he called to ask me how to fix the blinking display on our old TV/VCR, a condition caused by a power outtage. I tried to walk him through the resetting of the equipment, but I knew I was wasting my breath. Imagine my surprise when he called the next day to tell me he'd FIXED the blinking display! When I got home, I looked at the VCR display panel, and sure enough, it wasn't blinking. In fact, it was black. I walked over for a closer look and discovered he'd covered the blinking red lights with black electrical tape. What a guy!

By the way, our Vizio was perfect from the moment we plugged it in--no problems at all. One day we'll replace the ViewSonic (terrible picture and sound) in our Monty with a Vizio. If we were fulltiming now, I'd make the replacement tomorrow, no doubt about it.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote