View Single Post
Old 07-18-2006, 05:49 AM   #56
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My retirement date was set when my father died. Starting in 1924, Mom and Pop raised 8 kids through the Depression, WWII, and Korea. In the late 40's, he and my 2 older brothers started a dry cleaning business. My Dad spent most of his next 25 years devoted to this new business. Finally on December 31st 1972 at age 67 he retired selling his half of the business to my brothers. His doctor considered both him and Mom in excellent health. Hell he played 18 holes of golf 3 days a week. Two years to the date of his retirement, Dec 31, 1974, at age 69 he dropped dead from a stomach aneurysm. It was on that date I told Lorraine that we would be retired by age 60 and that's exactly what we did. Oh yeah, we still do some odd jobs from time to time but for all intent and purpose we can and do come and go as we please. Tomorrow I will be returning to a very part time job I had last winter but I have already notified them that I will be taking off after Labor Day and will probably be back sometime in October.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote