View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Off grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0veless View Post
we have a 2016 3720RL love it.
what would a good set up for occasional overnight stop just using batteries?
water heater off, refer on propane. watch a little TV then coffee in the morning.
most of my research has mostly turned up solar and boondocking set ups don't want or need anything that intense. I have 2 generators that have never been used. I just find it a hassle to pull out the generators run the cord then put all away for a few hours not to mention noise gas maintenance (yes the are inverter quiet). this should give you an idea of how often this set up might be used. just something going from point A to point B.

thank you
You want an occasional overnight stop. Your replies have been about boondocking. The reality stopping over night or parking for a week or longer are almost identical when it comes to batteries and usage.
My short story is my old RV like yours had four six volt batters 2 in series each and then the two banks in parallel giving me 440 amp hours. With liquid batteries you can only use 45 to 50 % amp hour without doing damage so that was 220 amp hour usable current. I could survive overnight with furnace fan, TV and Coffee and minor Microwave in the morning using about 120 amp hours.

That is usage. Now you have to replenish with solar or generator.

You commented you have generators but a hassle to hook up. Well you have to pay the Fiedler or don’t dance.

Upgrade your batteries. Or run your generator. And if you don’t put solar to recharge then you need to run the generator to recharge the batteries. If you want to do any off battery (one night or more) living I strongly suggest you get a good battery monitor system like the Ventura 712.

PM me and I will try to help you more. Safe travels
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote