View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #34
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 5ER

Your trailer can operate for some time off of 220 volts if the neutral can some how find it's way back to ground. I was staying in a friends back yard just after Katrina and he had wired up the 50amp outlet but did not wire the neutral at the pole disconnect. Everything worked fine except I would get shocked when I touched the battery terminals or the satelite dish outside while I was installing it. It operated this way for over a week before the converter started to smoke. The converters would blow when the A/C would start. I called to take it in and the repair man told me it was running on 220v. I had already spent over $500 on 2 converters so he saved me a bunch. We wired in the neutral and no problems since. I also found out that you can run your trailer off of a good battery charger in a pinch without a converter. I had to do this over a weekend while waiting for the second converter. I could not do without the AC and refrig even for a weekend while in Louisiana.
I can attest to being able to run your systems off of a battery charger. Our first outing on our 2980 I turned off the converter thinking the switch was for the W/D and when the battery started to get low I just hooked up the battery charger and was good to go for 2 days. Don't tell any one that I did this dumb stunt.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote