Thread: Slides
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This is one of those things dealers and service techs can use to make a warranty problem "your fault". The book recommends you exercise them but I don't recall the frequency, but every couple of weeks sounds about right. My book also recommends using the slide supports, too - why don't they just supply them if it's this important?

It's my opinion there are many factors to consider testing the slides. They provide their recommendations based on the worst case. For example, if you and your spouse are both 450 lbs or more, and only sit in one slide area and you live in Northern Canada, you might need to "test" the slides more often than someone else. It will depend on how much maintenance you want to follow. I lube the slide movements regularly and treat the rubber on a regular basis. I am only a some-timer so the slides are not extended for very long periods of time. So I don't worry about it as much.

As JimF and Orv have mentioned above, pick your interval. Just continue educating yourself by posting for comments and experiences from others, to get to your comfort level. Me, being a some-timer just happen to bring slides in and out more often than a full timer. This might change as my Monty habits change. I think the ultimate goal is to keep making sure things are working right.

Hopefully many others will provide comments so you can feel more comfortable about what you decide to do.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote