Thread: Montana Tours
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #12
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Hi, I hope everybody had a great and safe holiday (if you happen to celebrate it, if not, I still hope you had a great and safe day). We plan to be making some visits and phone calls after the first of the year (or maybe wait until Montana starts up production again) to see if the 2 Montana dealers in IL will be carrying the Big Sky or can do special orders. The more we discuss it the more we are interested and feel the "upgrades" are worth the money for what we want to do.
One concern that we haven't figured out yet is that IL is really weird on how they do licensing and their description seems to contradict itself as to whether we can use our regular driver's licenses over a certain combined weight "CLASS D: Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of 16,000 lbs. or less" (and we can't seem to get an answer from Ford as to how much an F-350, dually, long bed, crew cab, 4WD (with whatever "rear end ratio" Verle wants to have) will weigh. We've even contacted Ford and they say check with the Dealers, but when we check with the dealers they give us the "depends on what you have on it" routine.
I think we need to get class "C" which states "CLASS C: Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of more than 16,000 lbs. but less than 26,001 lbs.; or any such vehicle towing another with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less".
Otherwise we would have to have a CDL Class "A" "CLASS A: Any combination of motor vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 lbs. or more, providing that the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs. Does not include motorcycles or motor-driven cycles. (A CDL is generally required.)
So we keep asking questions and making phone calls. When we tried to get clarification from the DL bureau they said, "it says what it says on page whatever, just read it", rather than helping us figure out the legal/right thing to do. Oh well, we still have some time to get it all untangled. Thanks again, for all your help.
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote