View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #21
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blamb

It seems to me that the company would be smarter not to design them to fall right off:

#1 - Children get into things. This is a good way for someone to get seriously, seriously hurt if someone happens to be standing below the bedroom window. The company would get their pants sued off for this.

#2 - If they do fall right off, that means dangerous shattered glass on the ground, posing great danger to the person escaping for whatever reason they are escaping for. The last thing I need to do if I am trying to get away from a fire or an intruder is fall on the ground from that height right onto broken glass, or glass, period. The company would get their pants sued off for this too.

#3 - How many people probably open it to check something, see out better, clean, whatever? The window falling right off would damage the window and be costly to replace and cause great inconvenience. There'd be a lot of noise being made about it.

These and many other things that are easily prevented by hinges at the top that still allow easy escape but no falling glass (or glass to fall on).

If the really do just fall right off, I'd be seriously surprised, because that would be an incredibly stupid move on the part of keystone.
Now that I think about it, it sort of makes sense for it to come off. That way, it would be much simpler to get out of the hole in the wall, otherwise you would be fighting against the glass with it bouncing around on you. This would be a problem for each subsequent person exiting. As far as the broken glass being a hazard, not so much. It is tempered safety glass, so if it did break, it would be in about a million tiny little 1/8" squares. It's not like you would get skewered through the neck with a long, sharp shard of glass.

As Stiles mentioned, if you are using it to escape a real emergency, the window falling out and breaking would be the least of your worries.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote