Thread: Internet and TV
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #43
Ken Wiseman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1229
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Wiseman
Having Internet and TV does require two accounts - one with Hughesnet and the other with Directv but the external hardware can be consolidated into one Datastorm dish. I have talked about this in detail on our RV Podcast at http://rvnavigator.com.

Basically, you have a Datastorm dish installed on the roof and add the necessary LNBs for satellite TV. This is one of the only ways to get satellite HDTV. We have had this system (which of course is portable and mounted on our RV) for about 2 1/2 years. It works everywhere that you have a view of the southern sky. No cell phone based system can even come close having that kind of coverage. Want to travel down the Baja - no problem. Want to boondock in the desert, you'll have internet. I push a button and ten minutes later I am on the web and have satellite TV. I will say that download is fast, upload is slow, but which do you do more of? It is a very workable system. We just came back from 6 weeks in Mexicos Yucatan - 3600 miles and we had internet for the entire trip.
Questions?

kw
Ken Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote