View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
registration Topic

I recently got into a conversation of trailer registrations.
I have seen Tractor trailers registered in OKLA, IND and other places even maine for permanent plates with many years of an expiration date. So I did a web search and looked into the state of maine.

I live in NH with no sales or income tax. And I'm not in the market for a new unit. But I know people that do this and buy title their vehicle and then register trailers it in Maine for the cost savings.

Is it completely legal? If it is insured and the place of residence is satisfactory through your insurance company. There are no direct laws prohibiting a trailer (verses your primary vehicle which many states have laws about but fail to address trailers).

So after a brief web search I came across this horse trailer forum and there are others by just googling Maine trailer registration. It can be done by mail or via a service and appears quite easy with multiple years of validation without remembering to renew annually.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...o-muss-no-fuss

I'm not advocating this. And I'm not sure it has been disused here previously, I can't remember it has been so long. But I thought I would throw this out here for any one who wants to discuss.