View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've heard the best place to jack up the trailer is at the frame as close to the tire in question. I can see that this is the strongest place to do so. But on the Driver's side I have propane plumbing in the way and finding a place to jack up is tricky. The other corners are good, just tricky finding the frame because of the undercover and body panels.

The issue with the frame is that it is pretty high from the ground which means very tall jacks, jackstands and/or numerous blocks are needed. It also takes a long upwards travel distance to raise a wheel since when jacking from the frame, the frame has to raise quite a way before the suspension starts to raise the tire. I have all this stuff at home, but I don't like to carry all this weight and gear while on the road.

I now carry a set of 4x4 blocks and the bottle jack which are sufficient to raise from the frame and get the tire in the air. Prior to this, I have only had one emergency requiring to jack up a tire and used the U-bolt at that time. Now, with the blocks I won't even do that.

Phil (exav8tr), you can thank God you DON'T have to worry about this! You deserve to brag about that. They didn't leave the U-bolts off, they were nice enough to remove them as a potential problem!!! Let's just say you "paid" for the privilege.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote