View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #32
RichardD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22381
Fuel filter

I was an automotive manager for 25 years for onr of the largest fleet of trucks in the US. We always followed the manufacturer's recommended intervals for all fuild and filter changes. The fuel filter life is greatly effected by the quality of the fuel that passes through it. If you stop for fuel at a small country store and there is only one diesel pump located out behind the store, you can only imagine how old the fuel is, when was the last time that the pump's fuel filter was changed. Old diesel fuel can actually grow bacteria, this bacteria can be transferred to your truck's fuel system and cause all sorts of problems and cost you a lot of money and down time. If you have to wait in line to get fuel, it is worth the wait because the fuel you are get will be pretty fresh.
Another way to get all the life you can out of your fuel filter is to never fill your tank when a fuel delivery truck is making a delivering. When they open the valves on the truck, there is a rush of fuel mixing in with the fuel that is left in the tank and that rush disturbs all of the junk that has settled in the bottom of the storage tank. Some of this junk will pass through the pump filter and enter your truck's fuel system.
On my 2015 Duramax, I typically wait until it is around 10% before I change it or if it is below 20% and I am getting ready for a 1000 plus mile trip.
I hope this helps.
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote