View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #25
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Wahoo! We brought the Montana home yesterday with a Comfort Control Center installed and the remote thermostat gone!

To summarize: We first took the unit to a non-Montana dealer that did Dometic warranty work. Dometic provided that dealer with a new remote that worked only slightly better than our original remote. Dometic was willing then to provide the dealer, but not us, with a CCC, and would not pay for the labor of installation. Thus, we needed to find a Keystone dealer to do the installation. We did not buy our Montana locally (always looking for a bargain). The local Montana dealer won't be servicing units they did not sell for months. So, I contacted a local Keystone dealer that sells Challengers and Everests (those Everest models look very nice...).

Happy Daze RV in Sacramento was not familiar with the remote thermostat problem. When they contacted Keystone they were told that the CCC was an upgrade and replacing the remote thermostat with the CCC was not covered by warranty. I called Keystone and without much trouble they authorized the labor for installation. The CCC was installed, with only minor troubles; the EE display and the dip switch that others have encountered. I knew more about the problems than the service center did.

We'll be off to the coast next week. Our temps in the central valley of California have been running towards 104 this week. It's about 65 on the coast. We may be able to try out the heater this coming weekend. I checked the AC at Happy Daze and it worked as it should.

Both Keystone and Dometic made this repair difficult. Withouut the forum, I'd never have accomplished it. Happy Daze worked with me and, considering that I was not their customer, and they hadn't seen the problem before, really did an excellent job. (Interestingly, we toured a new Everest while we were there and the salesman was extolling the features of the Dometic remote control. We chose not to disillusion him.)
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote