View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 04:35 AM   #1
Kenleys Oompah
Established Member

M.O.C. #18656
Islands in the way

I've had my Montana since 2009, and I'd like to upgrade to a newer model, but most of the 5ers I've seen have either a food prep or galley sink island that obstructs access to the refrigerator or prevents me from walking the length of the cabin when the slides are in. When we travel, we usually stay in free parking and don't want to put out the slides.

My unit has no island; I use a small butcher block table in the galley which I can slide all the way to the rear when on the road. We can use the galley for food prep and eating, and I can sit on the sofa to read with the slides in.

When we were in Quartzsite last January, we toured many units at the RV show and carious dealers in town. I looked at one smaller SOB that looked like it would be OK, but when I tried to open the refrigerator door, I was amazed to note that, had the designer moved the island LESS than an inch aft, the door would have opened. Instead, the door opened about eight inches and whacked up against the island.

Does this bother anyone besides me, or am I being unrealistic to expect freedom of movement in the cabin of my 5er whether or not the slides are out?

2006 Mountaineer 329RLT
2011 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7
Kenleys Oompah is offline   Reply With Quote