Thread: 2001 2850rk
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Welcome to the MOC Skeetshooter. I have a 1999 2850RK with the 8" frame and 15" rims. Shortly after my puchase Keystone notified me of a recall because of problems they had with a very few units. Since my dealer was 300 miles away they let me pick a facility close by that had a certified welder, then sent the upgrade kit and paid to have it installed. Basically the kit added reenforcement plates where the spring hangers attach to the frame and braces between the hangers from side to side parallel to the axles. I've never had a problem and this rigs been in terrain most folks wouldn't take one. I recently spoke with a factory representative at an RV show and learned the problem appeared only with a few units that were delivered with the 8" frame and 16" rims and tires. It appeared to be a stress problem related to that particular combination and then only under certain conditions, in which cracks developed where the hangers attached to the frame, but the recall went out on all units. Shortly thereafter they went to a 10" frame, and I suspect before the 2001 models were built. I recommend you get the VIN number from the owner, then call Keystone and they should be able to tell you if the modification was done, or even necessary on that particular unit. They tracked them because they extended the warranty after the modification.

As to axle problems, you'll find posts regarding problems with both Alko & Dexter products I believe. Most refer to tire wear problems due to alignment, or shackle bolt wear. Kits are available to replace the shackle bolts with ones that can be lubricated, and the alignment problems could be due to a number of factors, one of which could be the axles weren't mounted in alignment when the frame was built and delivered to Keystone. I have the original tires on mine and they show no irregular wear pattern at all. A quick check can be made by measuring the center to center distance between the hubs on each side of the unit. Obviously if they aren't the same, something is amiss and tires will grind off.

Good luck in your decision,

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote