View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Tom:
We have used my pullrite 16k superglide hitch for aprox. 1000 miles since our purchase of our unit in May of 2004. I have noticed a couple of scratches and I don't know what caused them. Just a guess is that a small stone or similar object had got under the round plate and gouged the metal. I took a stone hone, similar to that of a knife sharpening stone and honed it smooth so that no rough edges were left to work on the round plate. I don't think I did any harm to it and it does seem to glide smoother since I honed it. I also wipe it down after I arrive at a campsite and re-apply new grease when I get ready to leave. This I think, removes any dirt or debri that might cause wear and tear on the rails. Let us know if you find out anything about what pullrite has to say about the scratches.
On another point about this hitch that I think needs attention as much as the rails is the space between the nylon block and the pivot plate. After the first couple of trips with our unit, I checked the slop or play between the two parts and noticed that there was at least 1/16 " of play and the instructions say that there is to be no play between these parts. So I ended up making a special wrench to loosen the double jam nuts to re-tighten the hex head bolt and then tighten the jam nuts again. after doing this a couple times, it seems to ok now. Just wanted to pass this along in case some of you may not have noticed this.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote